"I will not forget your precepts for by them you have preserved my life. "...Psalms 119:93 NIV
When I stop to think of all that I am thankful for this week, I have to say that one of the biggest blessings of my life has been the outstanding medical care provided to me and my family. What makes these medical professionals stand out to me is the "heart" with which they serve. It's easy to tell those who have been "called" into the medical field!
1) Dr. Craig Buettner and West Alabama Family Practice - My words are not sufficient to describe the awesome care of "Dr. B" and his wonderful staff. Anytime that any of the four of us visits their office, we always feel as if we are the only patient they have. They always make time to see us or answer questions over the phone. When we were choosing a physician for Annie (with all her medical problems initially), I got lots of strange looks when I told people that I was choosing a family practice physician over a pediatrician. I have never regretted that decision!
2) Dr. David Hinton and the DCH Cancer Treatment Center - Thankfully, I only make official visits to them twice a year, but I try to stop by at Christmas and other times so they know how very much I appreciate them. Dr. Hinton told me in December of 2003 that "there is so much hope in your situation" - I remember it like it was yesterday and he has no idea how much I have played that message over and over in my head throughout my recovery process. His encouragement meant as much to me as the medical care. I am a "glass is half full" kind of person and I needed that encouragement!
3) Our therapists are special people, too! We've had lots of therapists - PT, OT, Speech in our family that have all contributed to our health and well being. Kim Marsh and Jenny Holman are both physical therapists who were "called" to work with children. "Ms. Kim" was already my friend and became Annie's PT at when she was born. She even came to our house and we shared coffee during therapy! "Ms. Kim" is now serving precious children in State College, PA, but we still celebrate Annie's progress with her - thanks to the IPhone! "Ms Jenny" is the school PT for Sprayberry. She always goes above and beyond for the children that she serves. We just love her, too!
4) The Children's Hospital of Alabama - There are way too many people there who have impacted our lives in a positive way for me to try to name them all. I just know that we are thankful to have The Children's Hospital so close to us.
5) I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Bone Marrow Transplant Team at UAB Hospital in Birmingham. I remember the first time I went there when I thought my life was almost over. Dr. Foran told me to "live my life" - words I took to heart! Now, a little over 8 years from that point, I am thankful to still be living my life!
I thank God every day for the individuals he has "called" to take care of me and my family! He has used these very special people as instruments of healing in so many ways.
Here is a link to a list of national recognition days for medical professionals
Take a moment to thank the medical professionals who have served your and your family! You don't have to wait until the designated week. Just a simple "thank you" note will go a long way to making them feel appreciated!